2017 FB Rules
OK Football Fans.. It's time for another season of watching and cheering for
(and, in some cases, assigning our highest numbers to) our favorite teams!!
This year's contest will again include the `year-end' prize, as well as the
usual weekly prizes! The "ranking" system will be the same one we've used in
the past.. Here's a quick refresher on how it's done:
Obvious. Please try to keep the same name all year, it makes keeping stats easier.
Select only one winning team per game. No point spread - straight winner.
- CONFIDENCE RANKING
Select a confidence number N through 1 (N being the total number of games -
for Week #1 there are 15 games)
Do NOT use the same number more than once.
Use higher numbers for higher confidence,
lower numbers for lower confidence.
If the team you choose wins, you accumulate this number into your score.
Note: Games that end in a tie (after overtime) do NOT count as a win. [No Points]
- MONDAY NIGHT
You may elect NOT to choose a Monday Night winner but it will cost you 3 points.
You can pick either (not both) to play by Quarters or by Game.
Either way can cost you no more than 9 points.
By Game: Select only one team to win (no point spread). If they win you earn 9 points.
If they lose you lose 9 points. (They are subtracted from your score)
By Quarter: Select teams to either be winning at the end
of a quarter or have the game score be tied at the
end of the quarter.
- If you pick a team to win a quarter and they do, you earn
3 points, if they are behind, you lose 2 points (they are
subtracted from your score). If the teams are tied, you get zero points.
- If you pick a team to tie a quarter and they do, you earn
4 points, if they don't, you lose 2 points (they are subtracted from your score)
Although we allow you to choose a 4th quarter tie, this could obviously only happen
if a game went into overtime. This would be the only way to earn points for the
4th quarter when playing quarters during an overtime game.
- If you don't pick any quarters correctly, you lose 1 additional point
(It is subtracted from your score)
- WINNING, LOSING & TIES
The one with the most points wins! Any total point ties
will be pushed towards most games won and then the best
Monday Night score. If still tied we split it up!
DFL returns contribution. Unless we see you in person we will be holding on to the DFL
'prizes' to mail out all at once at the end of the year. That way we can save on postage
and combine with your other winnings (or if you're like me, your other DFLs). Seems kind of silly
to put a 37 cent stamp on a DFL prize if we can help it.
- Presettled Entries are once again allowed this Season!
- This can be the entire season, a block of games, game by game or
an occasional game. Whatever your pleasure.
- Only presettled entries can register their picks using our WEB site.
- You are more than welcome to turn in your weekly picks
using our Web site if you are presettled. "http://www.keetna.com/nfl" -
and then choose the week you are interested in. Keep in mind that web entries are viewable by everybody
time. All forms received in error will follow the new "Form errors"
rules. Any Web entries received that are NOT presettled will be ignored.
If you don't know what "presettled" means, ask!
- Entries that are entered via the web will be available for immediate view
by all. Non-web on-time entries (phone in, email, hand in, etc) will be
available for view whenever your humble coordinators have time to enter them
(this may or may not be prior to the kickoff of the first game of the week).
EXCEPTION: During the last 5 weeks of the season, non-web on-time entries
may NOT be available for view until after entries close for the week.
- Always play with the same name or handle.
- This makes it easier for us since we keep track of year-end stats
to decide on a year-end winner.
- Form Errors......
- Because of the awful thing that happened to NO-CAL-CHRIS and the
Northern CA group some time ago, where we didn't accept their entries
because they were late, We have decided to revamp the rules:
- If a presettled entry is received late...
- By a minute, an hour or whatever. You get by default the average
score for the week. We are now only allowing late forms to keep
people in for the year end, and ONLY PRESETTLED ENTRIES APPLY!
- If a presettled entry is received in error...
- Whether it be duplicate numbers, teams not circled, sloppy forms
, internet server problems, or garbled voice mail...any form errors
that cannot be fairly deciphered will result in the same default
as forms received late. Again, ONLY PRESETTLED ENTRIES APPLY!
- All entries received late or in error will be ignored unless presettled.
- Ways to Play...
- Web Site:
- "firstname.lastname@example.org" Only entries received
through this address are accepted!
Presettled entries only!
- Voice Mail:
- Through our Home Voice mail only.
- Snail Mail:
- Must be received prior to the first game...NOT just
postmarked. We have received many forms by mail on
mondays (postmarked friday) - these are NOT accepted.
- Face to Face:
- And now, the most important item on the lists. SCORE: This is the "Overall
Ranking Term". It was designed to take into account things like "how well
have you done compared to the winners?..Compared to possible points?.
How often have you played?. So forth and so on." This term seems to be a
pretty reasonable representation of performance, and it has gone through
quite an evolution:
- SCORE = (TPP) (PTS / HI PTS) (WKS / TGam) or....
- (Total Points Possible) *
(pts achieved / pts achieved by winners the wks you played) *
(weeks played / total weeks)
- How well could you have done?
- When you played, how did you do vs. winners?
- How often have you played?
- As a note, the maximum value of "SCORE" is the current week's value of TPP
(if you play (and win!) every week, the other terms go to 1).
Please double check weekly scores, and let me know if you find any errors!
- YEAR-END PRIZES:
- In addition to the usual weekly first place (and DFL) prize, there will also
be a Year-End Prize. Each week we will set aside 15% of
the weekly prize to go towards the Year-End Prize. At the end of the year,
the top three players based on the ranking scheme outlined above will receive
- 1st place = 65%, 2nd place = 25%, 3rd place = 10%.
- Tie-breakers: Number of weekly wins during season. If there is still a tie,
split the prize for that placing and the placing prize(s) below (if any)
between those tied... based on the number of players tied.
- 2nd place two player tie... 1st = 65%, 2nd place winners get 17.5 % each
(25% 2nd + 10% 3rd divided between them).
- This same scheme will hold for 2 player ties, 3 player ties, etc...
3-way tie for 1st... 1st + 2nd + 3rd split three ways (33 1/3% each)
2-way tie for 1st... 1st + 2nd split 2 ways (45% each), 3rd = 10%.
- If you've done well in the past, now's your chance to prove it wasn't just
a fluke! Remember, it's always more fun to gloat and/or heckle if you're
there for Monday Night Football!! - THAT'S WHY WE DO THIS IN THE FIRST PLACE!
- And as always.... GO COWBOYS!